(Redirected from Technical:Frequently Asked Questions)
- Search for the topic, by entering it into the search box at the left, and clicking Search. Terms can be entered individually, or grouped inside of quotes. For example: "Utilities Interface".
If you have a question which cannot be addressed via the FAQ or by searching in the wiki, please be sure to post to community.heroengine.com.
- What do game operators use to administer the game?
- Where are the main server logs located?
- How do I request a new developer account for access to the documentation wiki and servers hosted by HeroEngine?
- How do I create new accounts on my game server?
Areas and Area Servers
- See also: Area Server
- Given an instance on the server, how do I determine the spec FQN from which it was created?
- What would be the process for adding a second machine to a world, for areas to run on?
- How many players can interact in an “average” sized area, assuming most are engaged in strenuous activities such as combat?
- Area States: What is the purpose and advantage of this system? Why can the state of a Door not simply be persisted the same as, say, the health of a monster?
- Areas: What limitations are there for two different objects in different areas interacting? E.g. a player in Area #1 combating a monster in adjacent Area #2? Is this even possible? What about issues with the local coordinate systems?
- How can you delete an area?
- How can you keep an area from spinning down when it is vacant?
- What is the optimal size of a Heightmap in regards to loading times, draw calls, etc...?
- Why does my map not load all of the way?
- Why does my character get dropped into a gray area of nothingness when I travel to a new room?
- Why does my character get dropped into a gray area of nothingness when I travel through a seamless link?
- Why does my character get dropped into a gray area and my room data disappears when I travel to a new room?
- How do I access the world server?
- How do I set the time of day for dynamic sky so all users experience the same time?
- How do I implement a chat system?
- Is there a way to limit the messages in chat panel?
- How do I create a territory?
- Can I change the sun and stars views?
- Does HeroEngine support chat panel logging?
- When rendering an area, why do I get the /failed to create index buffer in HeightMapNode::BuildMeshes() / error?
- How does HeroEngine determine which room the camera is in?
- I am trying to use rooms to restrict the visibility of light sources, how much control over the light source can I gain from this?
- Why does my territory disappear when the instance shuts down?
- Why can't I delete an area and create a new one with the same name?
- How do I restrict Heightmap editing to a specifict Heightmap(s)?
- How is a spec represented on the server as opposed to the client?
- What needs to be done to deny entry permission for an account/character into an area?
- Is there a standard way to clone an instance area to a new edit area?
- Why can I see the NPC's names but not their bodies?
- When traveling between areas with different environments is there a way to cause the environments to blend?
- Is there a way to change the skymap?
- Is there a way to change the tint of the rain?
- Why is my vertex painted character or asset rendering as all black?
- How do I load texture assets from the repository?
- How do I turn off various effects, such as lighting?
- Is there any documentation of the .AAS file format?
- Which way are the X, Y, and Z-axes lined up?
- How do you reset the Xform?
- What causes the "ConvertGrannyAnim failed" error?
- What should we do if we accidentally exported meshes as static assets and not morph meshes?
- How exactly does the local cache work? What files are stored in the assets db and what files are stored on a world-by-world basis?
- Is it possible for multiple game worlds to share a single repository?
- Why am I unable to import textures?
- Why is dynamic sky unaffected by fog?
- Why does the character manager get stuck/grayed out when I try to load my character?
- How do I create my own Shader effects in HeroEngine?
- Why does the light from my lights go through walls?
- Can I programmatically control the camera?
- Why does my extremely high poly 3d asset not render correctly?
- How do I create custom shapes for the Physics panel?
- Is there any way to link a FX to the character part?
- Is it more efficient to render one object with many polygons, or many objects with few polygons?
- How do I attach a particle effect to a character/object?
- What does it mean when I see an object with a flashing checkerboard texture?
- What is a material redefinition error?
- When I load an asset, why does it show different textures on everyone's computers?
- How can we create a glass effect, for windows?
- How do I handle a "knockback" animation on characters?
- When a character should be walking or running forward, the animation appears to be playing properly, but the character is translating sideways/When a character should be turning, turn animations are playing, but the character remains stuck in place.
- Is there any lipsync technology integrated?
- An animated asset is missing components or those components seem like they are placed incorrectly
- Why does an error pop up when an animation is initialized and then works fine afterwords?
- Is there a way to mark all ASQ preload values to true?
- How do I display Scaleform in 3D space?
- What is a behavior?
- What a behave commands?
- Can you spit out an asq of an animation applied to a specific animation channel (other than AnimAllBody) in Animation Agent?
- How do I set up a weapons bone of a rig for a character?
- How do I implement a chair sitting animation?
- What is a knob?
- How do I implement blending animations?
- Does HeroEngine support combined animation?
- Why are my characters experiencing syncing problems?
- Do I Really Need an NPC for a "Visual Effect"?
- Why do the model asset instances not have a name property?
- After purchasing a license for a clean engine, can my custom area be ported to the new clean server?
- Our game system associates an asset instance to another node, but now the asset no longer appears when you enter the area, why is this?
- Is there a tool that allows me to preview how an asset will look like in HeroEngine?
- When I press the menu option "Add Item..." why does the item I add not appear in the game world?
- Is there a way to take more than one object, group them together to become a new asset?
- How do I dynamically add asset instances to what is visualized for a client?
- How can you find all of the instances in one room?
- How do I load all of a users characters at once?
- How would I implement player stats (strength, dexterity, etc...)?
- How do I get a NPC to follow the player?
- Why does my frame rate drastically drop when I am in an area with many NPC?
- How do I define NPCs and spawn them?
Character HBNodes on the client
- Is there a rationale for why the client player HBnode gets created with the id of the player account instead of that of the player character (such that pc’s and npc’s would be consistent)?
- How do I "see" / get selected nodes in the rendering window from C# / C++?
- Why wont my character jump forwards when I press the jump button?
- How do I add a new character/creature to the engine?
- How can I access character data when the player is not connected?
- How do I get the ID of a character node?
- How do the game servers communicate to the clients?
- Why, when I try to log in, do I get an error called "FSERROR_CONNECTIONFAILED"?
- Why do I get an “Unable to connect to server. Check your internet connection” error when launching HeroBlade for repository browser?
- How do you add a creature to the engine?
- How do you make a created creature appear in the game?
- How do I allow player changes to persist?
- How do I implement special areas of unusual shapes?
- How do I change the position of a trigger instance from the client without having to make a remote server call?
- How do I make a NPC drop items when it is defeated?
- How do I create a character?
- How do I make moused over NPCs glow like they do in Heroes Journey?
- How do I implement character portraits?
- How do I let players know when other players log on/off?
- Does HeroEngine have a simple world wide chat channel?
- How do I make damage number float up from the character when they are struck?
- How do I create a shop?
- How do I make the camera rotate around the player based upon mouse movement?
- How do I implement player/npc to player/npc collision?
- How can you copy a particle emitter from one area to another?
- What is the Editing Scope for particles (area-specific or world wide)?
- How can I implement client side path finding?
- How do I make a group of NPCs race to the same point but use different paths?
- How do you make water?
- How do you make special water blocks that players can walk on?
- How can I enable a player to walk on water when they use a special item, but only in certain water blocks?
- How do I add missions/quests to my game?
- How would I persist the state of a quest for a user?
- How do I implement a timed quest?
- Main page: DOM FAQ
- Is it possible to create DOM definitions without using the DOM Editor or CLI commands?
- Why can’t I change the type of a field in the DOM editor once it’s created?
- How do I perform DOM Reflection?
- Do we have to create our own DOM nodes or are these read-only parts of the HeroEngine artchitecture?
- What processes make up the HeroEngine?
- What is the backend architecture like?
- What is Clean Engine anyway?
- Before exporting, is it necessary to rotate the mean mesh or the part meshes?
- Do the mean and extreme meshes have to be OBJ file format?
- For the integration step, is it necessary to setup an "animated morph" for the parts?
- What should be done when the mesh is not scaling properly, morphing improperly, or causing side movements?
- How do I dynamically create a wall via a player technique?
- How come when I add a prop bucket physics do not apply to it?
- How do I implement a ski lift?
- How does a Licensee hook into clean engine and extend the functionality to perform their game specific mechanics?
- How do I implement tool tips?
- How do I bind a class to a GUI?
- Do HeroEngines GUI Labels support foreign characters?
- Does HeroEngine have a C# like drag and drop interface to create a GUI?
- How do I build a GUI control that performs dynamic setup during the onControlBuild() method?
- When creating an inherited control can I delete existing elements?
- How do I create a custom GUI class?
- How do I automatically assign key focus to the chat window when the user types a specified character?
- How do I delete controls from the GUI Editor?
- Will GLOMming work with a replication class?
- Why are my replication callbacks not being triggered when GLOMming while using a replication class?
- When GLOMming a class on a trigger node, how do I retrieve the name of the trigger?
- What does the "GLOM Class" button do?
- After installing HeroEngine why does it take a so long to start HeroBlade for the first time?
- Does HeroEngind support object snapping?
- Is there a button I can press to focus on a selected object?
- Is there a way to disable the spell/attack user interface?
- Is there a way to toggle object tooltips?
- What causes the gizmo of a selected object to resize and relocate itself?
- Why do loaded models float above the ground when their pivots are in their bottom?
- Why does HeroBlade not save my settings when I close it?
- Why is HeroBlade's camera navigation different than the one used in 3DMax and Maya?
- Why is it so difficult to select an object when another object is already selected?
HeroScriptLanguage / Scripting
- What are Programming Design Patterns in HSL?
- Do HSL classes have the equivalent of a constructor?
- How do you change a state from HSL?
- How do I use script templates?
- How do I get the index value the selected item in a dropDownBox?
- How do I programmatically resize a guilabel to fit the text it contains?
- What does the external function GetGrounding() do?
- How do I create a smart object?
- Are assets created on the server side or the client side?
- Why am getting the error "trying to destroy an indestructible node" when i destroy my subject?
- Why am I getting the error "ERROR: Exceeded SYSTEM.EXEC.CPULIMIT" when I call my server-side method or function?
- When would the subject call the listener to destroy it?
- How do I prevent memory leaks?
- With buttons, when should I set args.handled to true?
- How do I add headers to my specifications in a Spec Oracle?
- What does the Where command do?
- How do I change the position of a trigger instance from the client without having to make a remote server call?
- Why cant I find an asset based on its name?
- How do I hide static assets?
- How do I identify marshaled string data?
- How do I delete a spec listing from the spec oracle?
- How do I create area scripts?
- How do I bookmark locations in code?
- Does HSL have a garbage collection system?
- Does HSL have a have a control like a Rich Editor?
- What is a "spec"?
- How do I add action marks to the HeroBlade drop-down list?
- How do I create a magic trap ability?
- What is the "%" symbol used for?
- Does HSL support global variables?
- How do I make the player log off?
- How are objects created in HeroEngine?
- How does HeroEngine handle the ordering of events?
- What is the maximum string length in HSL?
- How closely integrated to HeroEngine is HeroScript?
- How easy is it to learn HeroScript as compared to other scripting languages, like Python or Lua?
- How do I implement a custom cursor?
- Why can't I access the parent instance of a camera?
- How do I get the camera to follow a node?
- What are the scripting tools?
- Can I make objects at given positions in the world, from script?
- How do you check if an ID is valid?
- Why does $ACCOUNT._OnlinePlayer() filter out some of the accounts internally by the isTimerSuspended() and isDeepTimerSuspended() methods?
- How can I get the list of the current players on the client side?
- Is there a way to capture keyboard input in editor mode as there is for game mode?
- Why won't my string auto convert to a noderef?
- How do triggers work?
- How do I update my characters stats upon entering an area, or when another character enters the area?
- How would I go about displaying text on the screen?
- How do I implement a selection mechanism?
- What does $DEBUG do?
- What does the wildcard (*) state value do?
- What are Properties and can I add new ones?
- What are Action marks?
- Why is _CharacterSystemClassMethods._SetCharacterName() called whenever a character's name changes?
- Why are NodeRefs not automatically set to NONE when the node to which they refer no longer exists?
- Is there anything in HSL analogous to the STL multimap, an associative container that can have multiple identical keys that point to different values?
- How do I sort a list?
- How does the event system work?
- How do I copy field values from one node to another?
- How do I read player input?
- How can I temporarily disable controls?
- How do I detect when a player is moving?
- How do I modify the Fade Out(Render Panel/Mesh) default value?
- How do I know the order in which a group of characters enters a volume in space (A.K.A. who won the race)?
- How do I handle persistence in HSL?
- How do I find a specific function?
- Note: The Utilities Interface is also known as the HotSpot Menu.
- How do I access the Utilities Interface?
- How do I modify the Utilities Interface?
- How do I rebuild the Utilities Interface?
- Is the style set in the Utilities Interface feature complete?
- Do classes defined in the DOM have the equivalent of constructor/destructors?
- How do I create a persistent node and associate behaviors with it?
- Why does a trigger remain on the client when I delete the parent node of the trigger on the server?
- How do I get rid of orphaned nodes?
- How does deleting a node from a replication group affect the rest of the nodes in the group?
- How do I pass information to a trigger that I want it to have when it is introduced to the client?
- What is a replication group?
- How do I create my own node with an initial character "$"?
- What is the difference between a system node and a prototype?
- How do I tie the destruction of a node to the closing of the window?
- How can I ensure that instances I create are destroyed with their parent?
- When I destroy a parent node does its child nodes get deleted as well?
- In what order is rotation applied?
- If the prototypes are loaded on demand, are they available synchronously? Does access to an unloaded prototype cause a blocking read on the DB?
- After deleting a file/directory, why cant I replace it with a file/directory of the same name?
- How can I set different worlds to have their own individual repositories on the client?
- How do I communicate with the server?
- How do I add a plug-in implementing the HeroScript extension interface to the server?
- What is a Clean Server?
- What classes/scripts are included with a clean server?
- If I place an audio asset in the world, is there a way to make it loop without using the FX editor or HeroScript?
- What is the suggested team structure that would work best with HeroEngine, utilizing its built-in workflow?
- How does the client know that it is ready (all assets have been loaded) so that it can activate a character?
- PostOfficeMatrix, Post Office Router, PO Matrixes, Well Known Mailboxes and non-well known mailboxes. How does this all work conceptually?
- What kind of VOIP support is there?