Operating System Installation: Windows Server 2008
- Install Windows Server 2008 -- Note: HeroEngine is currently configured to dump logs to C:\(Heroengine path to logs) so please do not partition your hard drive for only the OS, it will fill up.
- Install Drivers needed for the server.
- Install Windows Updates
- Install Ultra VNC 1.0.2 (This one is the only free version that works with 2008 currently 12/28/09, can install from http://www.uvnc.com/download/index.html)
- Install Net Time or another time client (sync to at least 3 different time sources)
- Install Oracle Client per the directions found here: Oracle_10gR2_Client_Installation (32bit client even on 64bit systems)
Disable IP v6
- Follow the instructions at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852 to disable IPv6
Create heroengine user and Configure Automatic Logon
- Create the user heroengine – give it a password and make it apart of the Administrators Group for the local machine.
- Automatic Logon
- Start Regedit and locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon;
- Enter your:
- DefaultDomainName – leave default if not a member of the domain
- DefaultUserName – ‘heroengine’
- DefaultPassword. NOTE: The value may not exist. If the DefaultPassword value does not exist, create it. On the Edit menu, click Add Value and choose string; In the Value Name box, type DefaultPassword; In the Data Type box, click REG_SZ.; Click OK; In the String Editor box, type your password. Click OK and save your changes. (value: Hero3ngine)
- AutoAdminLogon - On the Edit menu, click Add Value choose string. Type AutoAdminLogon in the Value Name box. Click REG_SZ in the Data Type box. Enter 1 in the String box. Save your changes. (NOTE: If no DefaultPassword string is specified, Windows automatically changes the value of the AutoAdminLogon key from 1 (true) to 0 (false). This disables the AutoAdminLogon feature. This behavior also occurs if the DefaultPassword string is specified but the password is left blank or null.)
- Quit Regedt32.exe.
- Restart your computer. Windows should be configured to log in automatically now.
Remote Debugging for Visual Studio
- Install and configure Remote Debugging for Visual Studio following the current directions on Microsoft's Visual Studio site
- run shortcut
- In C:\ make a folder with the name of the server (example: c:\HEFlame)
- Next, right-click on the start bar and select toolbars, new toolbars, and browse to the folder you just created in C:\
- When finished you will see the server name next to the system tray.
Disable Windows 2008 Shutdown Shutdown Event Tracker
- Disable the Shutdown Event Tracker (This needs to be done because if the computer crashes it will not restart fully, it will hang until you give a reason for the unexpected shutdown, and it is not acceptable on a production site which you need to have come up quickly.)
- Click Start, Run, and then enter gpedit.msc. Click OK.
- The Group Policy Object Editor console opens.
- In the left pane, expand Computer Configuration, and then Administrative Templates.
- Click System
- In the right pane, find and double-click the Display Shutdown Event Tracker.
- When the Display Shutdown Event Tracker Properties dialog box opens, select disabled.
- Save the settings, and close out of the Group Policy Editor.