Minimum Hardware recommendations
The following are Minimum Hardware recommendations for HeroEngine Servers and VPN
While you can purchase more powerful hardware, the following hardware is the minimum configuration required for running HeroEngine and Oracle.
Server 1: Oracle server
For Oracle, a single or dual socket Xeon server: Additionally, the number of CPU's also determines the price for the Oracle software license. (1 CPU = 1*price, 2 CPU = 2*price, required annual support is similarly modified.) If a later upgrade occurs, the Oracle license must be upgraded as well.
- OS: CentOS/Redhat 5.7 (which may be upgraded to 5.8)
- Minimum 1U rack mount server with 4 hot-swap SATA drive bays
- 1 quad core Xeon CPU, 2.0Ghz or faster, you can get a second CPU now or later if performance becomes an issue
- 8 GB RAM, recommended: 16 GB RAM
- RAID Card --Whatever you purchase it MUST be compatible with Linux. We suggest a card from 3Ware. Either the 9650SE-4LPML 4port PCI-Express or the 9550SXU-4LP PCI-X -- which of the two will be dependent on the server you purchase -- PCIe has a little better performance over PCI-X.
- Battery Backup unit -- BBU-Module-03
- Storage -- Minimum 4 Enterprise grade, SATA II, HDDs (min 4x 1 terabyte recommended 4x 2 terabyte). We normally configure them in a Stripe/Mirror configuration - RAID 0+1 (4x - 1-2 terabyte) . Bare minimum 2 HDDs and configured as a RAID1 (Mirror) (2x 1 terabyte).
Why do I need this much storage?
To start off you really don't, everything you need easily fits on a USB key. However, during development your database will expand in size and may end up servicing the needs of multiple development/test/qa worlds each of which will take up space. Additionally, it is convenient to have near-line storage for some period of time for your backups in case of issues and these can be significant in their size.
We recommend you be generous in storage you provide to your development database to ensure it continues to serve your needs up through deployment to production.
Server 2: HeroEngine World server
For the World server, a single or dual socket Xeon server:
- OS: Windows 2008RC2 or later Standard Edition. Enterprise is a bit pricey, and we don't feel it brings anything to the table.
- Minimum 1U rack mount server with 2 host-swap SATA drive bays. Again, color is your choice.
- At least 1 quad core Xeon CPU, 2.0Ghz or faster, you can get a second CPU now, or later if performance becomes an issue
- 8 GB RAM
- RAID -- Most servers have some sort if SATA raid on board which has Windows support. Since disk I/O is not an issue on HE World servers, the on board RAID will suffice.
- Storage -- Minimum two Enterprise grade, SATA II, HDDs (2x 500 Gig). All subsequent world servers need only a single hard drive.
When we host the servers for you, we can go one of two routes:
- Each person doing development runs OpenVPN on their local computer.
- Setting up an OpenVPN gateway at your office, and all VPN traffic runs through that gateway.
To decide which of the two would work best, we would need to know more about your needs, location(s) development will be occurring, and infrastructure before making a recommendation.