EngineWiki:User preferences help
The preferences dialog allows you to personalize some aspects of how the wiki works. This page gives basic information on commonly-used preferences. For more detailed information, see:
Note: Preferences are set separately on each wiki. If you also have access to other HeroEngine wikis, you may find it convenient to specify the same preferences on each wiki that you use.
User data Your email*: ... o Register email Your nickname (for signatures): ... o Raw signatures (without automatic link) Interface language: English Change password Old password: ... New password: ... Retype new password: ... o Remember password across sessions * Real name (optional): if you choose to provide it this will be used for giving you attribution for your work. * Email (optional): Enables people to contact you through the website without you having to reveal your email address to them, and it can be used to send you a new password if you forget it.
- Your e-mail: You may optionally register your e-mail address. This will enable other registered users to send e-mail to you from the "E-mail this user" link on your user page unless you've checked the disable box (see below). It also allows you to choose an option whereby you are emailed whenever a certain wiki page is changed.
This is a name you may optionally specify, different from your account name, for when you enter your signature with ~~~ or ~~~~.
(If you use the edit toolbar for signing, remember that it gives two dashes before the four tildes.)
If "Raw signatures (without automatic link)" is unchecked, then
- The software enters "[[User:Name|" in front of, and "]]" after your nickname text.
- Any characters in your nickname that would otherwise constitute Wiki markup and HTML markup are escaped as HTML character entities.
If "Raw signatures" is checked, then:
- Nothing is added to the text that you specify. What you specify is what is used between the two dashes and the timestamp.
- Wiki markup and HTML markup are not escaped, allowing you to include links, font tags, images, and templates in your signature.
Your password on the wiki is set via your HeroEngine account, not via the MediaWiki interface. Changing your password in this screen will have no effect.
If you do need a password change, please do so through the account interface.
Here you can specify an interface language. Not all languages are currently enabled, so if you need one that is not frequently used, please contact the HeroEngine team.
Search result settings
Hits to show per page: Lines to show per hit: Characters of context per line: Search in these namespaces by default:
- Hits to show per page: You may choose the number of results returned on each page of search results.
- Lines to show per hit is somewhat cryptic; specifying a number n means: "do not show any context if the search term occurs beyond line n in the page"; here a paragraph, as well as the blank line between two paragraphs, each count as one "line"; line breaks in the source, even when not affecting the lay-out of the page (and even when not directly visible in the edit box of the article), affect the line count. Setting the parameter to 5000 or more gives context for every occurrence.
- Characters of context per line: the number of characters of context per occurrence; however, the context is anyway restricted to the "line" (see above) it occurs in. To get the whole line, put a large number like 5000.
- Search in these namespaces by default: shows a list of all namespaces. See also Help:Searching.
- For more detailed information about how MediaWiki preferences work, see