Editing configuration values
- Main page: Master Control
- Note: This page is about editing server configuration values. For the client, see Editing client configuration values.
Configuration values for the various servers and daemons can be edited via the Master Control Console. For a complete list of the available parameters on the server-side, see Configuration Value Reference. For the client values, see Editing client configuration values.
Opening the Edit PanelTo open the editor for configuration values, push the button labeled "Edit Config" button at the top of the Master Control Console.
For the server side, the editor will display the following 8 categories:
When editing a value, try to edit the lowest level necessary, for proper inheritance.
For example, if adjusting a Timeout value, this could be modified at any of the following levels:
- Default (or Base)
If the value were modified at the "Default" level, the change would carry through all the other levels as well.
If the value were modified at the "Process" level, it would only be effective at that level, and would not affect the Universe, Daemon, or Default levels. But for that process, it would override anything from the other levels.
Tutorial: Changing a world name
A common configuration value that is changed, is a World Name:
A world will have one name which shows up to players in the Service Directory. This is the PublicWorldName
- To change the PublicWorldName:
- Open the Universes category
- Open the appropriate Universe
- Open the Parameters
- Locate the "PublicWorldName" parameter (note: The ("U") means this is at the Universe level)
- If the PublicWorldName is not yet defined, click on "Parameters" and then the "Add" button
- Click on "PublicWorldName"
- Click on "Edit"
- Change the Parameter Value
- You could also use this to add a description, which is just an internal comment that is useful in Master Control, but does not show up anywhere else.
Changing a universe name
A world (also known as a Universe) will also have a "Universe name", which is how it is displayed in Master Control.
- Click on the Universe Name
- Click on "Edit"
Resetting/Shutdown Master Control To Apply Changes
Most types of configuration changes will be recognized by performing a "reset" of master control (i.e. type /reset in the chat panel located in Master Control Console). Other types of configuration changes require a "shutdown" of the Master Control Application (i.e. type /shutdown in the chat panel located in Master Control Console), a shutdown of master control console does not affect the world which will continue running without interruption.