How to deploy an update
- Install the Deploy client.
- Source code licensees will have their own source code to build a deploy client
- Other types of licensees will be provided with a pre-built client via a specific download location.
- Start the Deploy client
- It can be found via the Windows Start button: (Start > All Programs > HeroEngine > Tools > Deploy)
- Select the product you wish to update. For example, the Deploy Client, various FireStorm configurations, the Master Control Console, the Repository Browser, the StatusMonitor, and the HeroBlade client itself.
- A default path to the product's files will be entered. If it is incorrect, you can type in another path or browse to it.
- Click Deploy.
- This can take several minutes. Once it is finished, a message will be displayed in the log indicating that the deploy process has completed.
How it works
- Once a deployment is started, a list of necessary and optional files for the product is sent to the client program which copies the files to the deploy server.
- The deploy server then modifies the product's main executable to update the version number.
- The deploy server then moves the files to the installation script server (this is on the
- It then uses Wise Installation System to build a full install, as well as optional patches (the number of patches is a config setting) for prior version. More Details
- The installation files are then copied to the launch server for that product. Old install files are also removed from the launch server to save space.
- The config file for that launch server is updated to reflect the new version of the product and its corresponding installation files.
- Optionally a version notes file is retrieved from Perforce.
- New notes are extracted and the file is updated in preparation for the next version's notes.
- The new version notes file is committed back into perforce.
- The version notes are then e-mailed and posted in the news message board( which could then be automatically displayed on a webpage if desired).
- Files are added to the Symbol server
Things to keep in mind
Multiple people can connect to the Deploy Server at the same time and see the status; however only one product can be deployed at a time. If someone else is in the process of deploying something, please wait. You will see the status just as they do. Anyone has the option of hitting the Abort button to stop a deployment that is in progress.
The deploy client can safely be closed any time after the files are copied from your computer to the Deploy Server. This will not interrupt the process.
Freezing a Deploy
It is possible to prevent a product from deploying, by "Freezing" it. To do this, select the product in the Deploy Client, and click on the "Freeze" button. Enter in the reason for the freeze, and click "OK". This will turn the Deploy buttons blue, and inactivate them.
To unfreeze the product, click on the product, and then the "Unfreeze" button. This will display the dialog about why the product was frozen, and have buttons that say
A deploy can be aborted by using the Abort button. There is however a point of no return at which the process cannot be cleanly stopped. Once this point has passed, the Abort button will be disabled. This point is reached toward the end of the process when files on the launch server are changed.
The deploy server will automatically abort the process if something goes wrong at any point in the process, even if it is beyond the point of no return. For example if you try to deploy HeroBlade but are missing a required file such as
SpeedTreeRT.dll the server will detect this and automatically abort the proccess.
If the deploy process is aborted past the point of no return, such as while the launch server was being updated, the cause should be quickly corrected and another deploy of that product done.
The process of adding a new product to the Deploy system
- Run Deploy.
- Click Edit button.
- Click Add Product buton.
- Select a product to inherit from. Example if you are adding HeroBladeBob and want to use version 1.25 of HeroEngine. You can inhert from HeroBlade_1_25_0_Base.
- Enter the name of the product you are adding.
- Click Create.
- Select the Product.
- Edit any values needed. Some common ones are in WISE_COMPILER_PARAMETERS
- Close the Config Editor.
Talk about the parameters which need to be changed for a Linux deploy. ( WISE_COMPILER_PARAMETERS - LINUX_DEPLOY 1, WISE_LOCATION switched to the location of the RPM builder )
You can create a launcher file such as product.heal(make sure to use your company specific extention so that it works with your launcher).
(add information about updating deploy configurations)