Area Organizer panel
The Areas Organizer Panel provides a listing of all areas which have been created. They are organized into various folders and subfolders. The Area Organizer panel can be opened by going to the Editors toolbar dropdown and selecting 'Area Organizer'
The filter input box, located at the bottom of the panel, may be used to quickly locate an area provided you know the name
Traveling To A New Area
Once you have located and highlighted the area to which you desire to travel, you can either double-click it or right-click it to bring up a pop-up menu. From here you may select to travel to either an Edit Instance, Play Instance or create a new Instance.
- Look at and modify an Area's Info properties
- Add an existing area to the Organizer hierarchy (this only works while you have a folder selected)
- Add a subfolder to the hierarchy (this only works while you have a folder selected)
- Remove an area from the hierarchy (this does not delete it -- see below)
- Cut / Copy / Paste normally
- Go To Instance, either starting up a new edit or play instance, or going to one that's already running
- Startup an edit or play instance without actually going to it
- Shutdown or stop a running instance
- Create New Area an entirely new area
- Import brings all of the objects from another area, and duplicates them into the current area.
Adding an area
To add a reference to an area back into the organizer, right-click on a folder and choose Add existing area.
Then select the desired area from a list of areas.
To free up a name so that a new area can be created with the old name, modify the area's properties, via the Info option on the right-click menu.
And then you can rename it:
An area can be Removed via the right-click menu, but be aware that this does not actually "Delete" the area. It merely removes the organizer's reference to it in a particular folder.
If you wish to create another area with the same name, you can either:
- Rename your old area (see above) to free up the name
- Completely delete the existing area. This is done directly in the database, via the AREADEL CLI command
To travel to an area, find it in the organizer panel. If you know its name, you can type part of it into the Filter box at the bottom of the panel, to locate areas which start with that text.
Double Clicking on the area you want will then bring up the Go To Area window
- If you select the Edit button, your character will travel to the edit instance of the area, spinning the area up automatically if needed.
- If you select the Play button, it does one of two things:
- If the dropdown box to the right of the button says NEW, a new (unoccupied) play instance of the area will be spun up and your character will travel there.
- Otherwise, if you have selected an already spun-up play instance (by number) from the dropdown, that's where your character will go.
Note that the edit instance is always instance #0, and play instance numbers area always dynamically assigned, and therefore not predictable.
- See Main Article: How to Import an Area